Becoming a member of College Church is an expression of your commitment to Christ. It brings you the ability to serve in elected positions on boards, committees, and more. Because we are a congregational church, members vote on critical decisions facing the church. Membership provides a spiritual family of support and encouragement as we walk through life together, and provide spiritual protection and accountability of godly leaders.
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. Eph 2:19–22 (ESV)
Steps to become a member:
1. Attend a membership class - see below for upcoming dates
2. Submit a completed membership application
3. Have a conversation with two elders to share your story of faith
4. Class names are published in the church newsletter (Connections) for four consecutive weeks
5. Council of Elders vote to approve slate of membership candidates
6. Be introduced as a new member in a Right Hand of Fellowship during a church service (this step is not required for membership)
Ready to participate fully in the life and ministries of College Church? Come find out about our history, doctrinal position, core values, initiatives for the future, ministries and where you can serve. Attending College Church membership classes is Step 1 in the membership process. Classes are scheduled in varying formats throughout the year to accommodate most people's schedule. The remaining membership opportunity in the 2018-2019 year is our spring membership class - Saturday, May 4 from 8:30 a.m. until noon. (Register for the Spring 2019 class!)
Church membership expresses:
• Our willingness to submit to Christ by placing ourselves under the church’s authority, where we find protection for our souls.
• Church membership allows us to participate fully in the life, leadership, fellowship and direction of the church.
• Church membership identifies us with God’s people, increases our effectiveness and heightens a sense of belonging.
• Is an expression of our gospel commitment and loyalty to Christ and his people.
What the Bible says about the benefits of church membership:
• It identifies a person as genuine believer (Eph 2:19; Rom 12:5).
• It provides a spiritual family to support and encourage people in their walk with Christ (Gal 6:1-2; Heb 10:24-25).
• It gives people a place to discover and use their gifts in ministry (I Cor 12:4-27).
• It places them under the spiritual protection of godly leaders (Heb 13:7; Acts 20:28-29).
• It gives them the accountability they need to grow (Eph 5:21).